StrikingDistance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

StrikingDistance

Hunting and Fishing Forum

HomeHomeGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Strategy question

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Admin
Admin
Admin

Strategy question Empty
PostSubject: Strategy question   Strategy question Icon_minitimeTue Dec 06, 2011 9:39 pm

This is the last weekend in the 2011 bow hunting season. My stand has been very slow this year and I don't think it will be worth my time to just jump in the stand and hope for a miracle. I think I'm going to try still hunting for the final few days that I have to get out there. I know there are deer in the woods and its supposed to be cold this weekend maybe I'll at least jump one. Does this sound like a reasonable idea or should I just pray something comes by my stand. What do you guys Think??
Back to top Go down
C@meL

C@meL

Strategy question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Strategy question   Strategy question Icon_minitimeWed Dec 07, 2011 10:49 am

I have never been a fan of still hunting. Add the difficulty of a stick and string...forget about it.
I know lots of people do it and are successful but it's not for me.

At this point of the season you should have a really solid game plan to harvest a deer or two.
If you only have one stand you are not doing yourself any favors...can't have too many you know.

The advice I can offer is first, hunt the food sources. Hopefully you have at least one good one to sit on. Second, hunt the does. Where there are does there are bucks. Find the much talked about bottle neck or pinch point between the food and the bedding area and have at it.

Very strange season for me as I never saw any solid rutting activity. Never witnessed any chasing and only found a few scrapes and rubs. Could this mean they are just now rutting? Not sure.

I can however tell you this, I will be in a stand as many hours/minutes as I can this weekend.

Best of luck,
Bill
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin

Strategy question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Strategy question   Strategy question Icon_minitimeWed Dec 07, 2011 12:21 pm

C@meL wrote:
I have never been a fan of still hunting. Add the difficulty of a stick and string...forget about it.
I know lots of people do it and are successful but it's not for me.

At this point of the season you should have a really solid game plan to harvest a deer or two.
If you only have one stand you are not doing yourself any favors...can't have too many you know.

The advice I can offer is first, hunt the food sources. Hopefully you have at least one good one to sit on. Second, hunt the does. Where there are does there are bucks. Find the much talked about bottle neck or pinch point between the food and the bedding area and have at it.

Very strange season for me as I never saw any solid rutting activity. Never witnessed any chasing and only found a few scrapes and rubs. Could this mean they are just now rutting? Not sure.

I can however tell you this, I will be in a stand as many hours/minutes as I can this weekend.

Best of luck,
Bill

Thanks bill, I think I'm gonna borrow a portable stand from someone and try to get into a bottle neck that I haven't hunted before.
Back to top Go down
C@meL

C@meL

Strategy question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Strategy question   Strategy question Icon_minitimeWed Dec 07, 2011 12:28 pm

I forgot to mention...I am not afraid to sit my fat behind on the ground with a bow...
If you have a place in mind get in early and put together a minimal ground blind of a fallen tree or some logs...with the wind in your favor and a little patience it can prove to be a successful tactic.

Good luck!
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin

Strategy question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Strategy question   Strategy question Icon_minitimeWed Dec 07, 2011 12:38 pm

C@meL wrote:
I forgot to mention...I am not afraid to sit my fat behind on the ground with a bow...
If you have a place in mind get in early and put together a minimal ground blind of a fallen tree or some logs...with the wind in your favor and a little patience it can prove to be a successful tactic.

Good luck!
I will definitley be doing this if I can't borrow a portable. I've used a ground blind on several occasions and I've been winded a couple times as well. I will be making sure my scent control is as perfect as I can be. Thanks again and good luck to you as well.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Strategy question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Strategy question   Strategy question Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Strategy question
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
StrikingDistance :: Hunting :: Whitetail Deer Hunting-
Jump to: